We encourage submissions that are
interdisciplinary in approach. Topics related to the Mississippi River
Valley are encouraged and given preference, though a direct
relation to the area is not necessary.
Big Muddy addresses a number of topics, including:
Big Muddy accepts submissions of all types
Manuscripts must be:
- original, previously unpublished
- in English
- double-spaced (poetry
should be single-spaced unless extra space is part of its
- typed or computer printed as
- have all necessary citations and
documentation in MLA or APA format
- Include a SASE in order to
recieve a response to your submission. If you wish for your
manuscript to be returned in the event we are unable to
publish it, be sure to indicate that and include enough
postage. All other manuscript paper will be recycled.
- If submitting photos or other images as electronic
files, please send at a resolution of 300 dpi.
Please allow 8-12 weeks for a response.
Payment to contributors is two copies.
Payment to reviewers is one copy.
Guidelines for review submissions to Big
- Big Muddy is dedicated to reviewing full-length
of any genre books from
independent, university, and small presses.
- Reviews should be double-spaced pages (approximately
300-500 words) and submitted in hard copy.
- Email submissions are not accepted.
- All documentation should be in appropriate style for
- We prefer only a minimum of summary. Your educated,
supported opinion is most valuable to the review.
- Reviewers are sent one copy of the issue in which
their review is published. The review becomes the property
of Southeast Missouri State University Press.
Send manuscripts to:
Dr. Susan Swartwout
Big Muddy: A Journal of the Mississippi River Valley
Southeast Missouri State University Press
One University Plaza,MS 2650
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
(e-submissions not accepted)
See information about the Mighty River Short Story Contest
See information about the Wilda Hearne Flash Fiction Contest